Friday, March 19, 2010

Rested, Mellow and Ready to Roll

After a day of feeling tired and loggy yesterday, we had room service last night. Room service menus are pretty much the same world over, although traditional items such as club sandwiches always have their unique country touches such as avocado here which is on virtually every sandwich offering. Hambugers are offered only one way- weel done. Yes, that is truely what the note says: hamburgers are only served weel done. Yum. Our experience with steaks was so good in South America last trip that we opted for the filets in red wine sauce (gravy is what I'd call it...sure made Mike happy as he covered his bread in both of our sauces). That and a bottle of Brazilian Merlot made for a nice meal. We watched a little television- three stations with American tv (1- movies, 2- CNN world edition, 3- sitcoms) all with Portuguese subtitles. I can't understand why they would be interested in House, but they have it running. I can't tell whether the sarcasm comes through in the subtitles. It is hard to believe one of his nasty comments can translate into a 6 word subtitle. I read while Mike watched an old science fiction movie starring Clooney (never even heard of it at home).

Lights out at 10:00 and we were asleep before the arm that turned off the light was back in the sheets. Finally, eleven hours later we got up and took showers...adjusted to the time zone and recovered from the all night flying. And mellow enough that site seeing didn't sound that intriquing. We joined the other late breakfasters and muched down on more of that wonderful fruit. Summer time in the Southern Hemishpere... wonderful. That is when we decided to sit outside in the sun for several hours (under the shade of a patio umbrella). We saw giant dragonflies and swarms of swallows eating the little bugs. Such fun. Two Americans with iPods and books sitting by the pool....how prototypical!

Tomorrow we catch the shuttle back to the airport at 9:00 to meet the cruise line bus that will take us to the port for boarding our ship. Hopefully then we will have something less mundane to write about!

Love you (Susan) and if there is anyone else out there reading...you too!
Deanne

6 comments:

Susie "K" said...

Oh that's hysterical! Leanne just wrote and mentioned she was excited to hear you were back up and blogging ~ you might hear from her sometime soon. She said that it's been in the 80's in CA. I fired back an e-mail and mentioned that we had snow today! Yeah, we sure did. Although it mostly blew like the devil and didn't stick much but yeppers - snow!! It's absolutely gorgeous right now. The clouds are parting and Look-Out Point looks crisp and clear with a new dusting of snow. The clouds are moving at warp speed. It's supposed to be very cold tommorrow but incredibly clear and beautiful. I bet the view from your CO home will be spectacular. We'll head up there sometime tomorrow and check on that package, close your gate and make sure your plants are happy. All is well in CO - enjoying your stories. Sitting by a pool sounds FAB right about now!! Hangin' in and gimpin' around! Can't wait to hear how you enjoy the cruise. I bet you're looking forward to boarding. Have a blast - wish I figued out a way to hide in your luggage!!! Love you both, me

Leanne said...

Hey you guys! Susie just told me you were back to blogging.Hmmmmm.*I* wasn't told!You better not write anything bad about me lol.......anyway, I've read your last accounts and as always, you are so entertaining! I can hardly wait for the next one! We were in PS last weekend..........Jaye and Jec came to spend a few days with the bub.Jamie, Keith and the baby came with us. Mom had a honey-do list for Keith so he was happily tweaking the computer. Had fun with Emily.....she's such a sweetie. It was fun seeing her and Jec together. We ate at the wonderful Manhatten Deli where I enjoyed a low fat corned beef sandwich and brought home some of their fat free desserts! Yeah right! Well, look at me won't you......I'm a writer just like you!!! Anyway....have a GREAT time and I'll be looking forward to your next entry!!

Love you lots and lots.................L

MIKE said...

Great to hear from you. I just want to set the record straight though. Susie told you about the blog, Leanne, because I realized I forgot to do so before I left and asked her to send a note to you and Jaye yesterday. I was only two days late, which for me, counts as on-time. It is like birthday cards...they count as on-time if they are in the right month. It is 6:00 AM and my zealous husband woke me up to get going early. We are packing, showering, then going to the buffet for our final fruit fest, then on to the airport, bus and boat. Next entry will be from Splendour of the Seas! Love you both. Thanks for our loyal following.
Deanne

DanaH said...

So far your trip sounds relaxing except for the minor baggage/shuttle aggravations.
The weather is B'ham has been remarkably mild and gorgeous. I think we are in for a decent weekend and then rain comes back next week. If ever winter happens to be like this one, I wouldn't mind it too much.
Mikecito is off today, so we're planning for a sunny walk in Fairhaven or Squalicum Harbor and then perhaps I need to introduce him to Morrie's burgers. My co-worker took me to lunch last week and I finally had the cheeseburger that B'hamsters rave about. My review: very very yummy but not quite the same as In & Out or the so-sad-you-are-gone Burger Me.

MIKE said...

we are having troubles with our write first, then cut+paste into the blog method that has been so effective in the past. the internet is so expensive we try to get on fast, then back off right away. I should be back with new writing later. Love you all, Deanne

Susie "K" said...

Hey guys - check your e-mail. I heard from Dad and he invited us to Santa Fe. I need to hear back from you ASAP as he needs to reserve a condo. Just a bump in case you're not checking regular e-mail. Hope you're eating and drinking in mass quantities!! Love you, me