Saturday, December 1, 2007

Audience feedback

You are a shy blog audience! For whatever reason, you are not commenting on the blog, but sending your messages to us on e-mail. We will summarize them here for everyone to see, but leave them anonymous for those of you that are either shy, desirous of confidentiality or eluding the police.

One of Mike's long time friends (yes, there are people who have been his friend for forty plus years) has a family friend that works in satellite TV and volunteered to transmit footage of us attending the NZ Open Golf tournament to any of you silly enough to watch a New Zealand golf tournament at 1:00 in the morning. He usually weighs in with messages of disbelief when I write something particularly nice about my wonderful husband. Mike went to Bishop Gibbons high school class of '62, and thanks to the internet these old geezers (that ought to get some comments) have reconnected. They send each other outrageous jokes (many of which Mike censors out before showing me) and funny stories. We love to hear from them.

One of our sisters (you all know Mike is one of many boys, but most of them married and we can count the wives in this group; and I have three sisters) writes several times a week with suggestions of places to visit based on her travels. She is the source of great advice about food. In fact, based on the feedback we get, there are probably a number of foodies in the audience. Or maybe since that is what I write about that is what you comment on. Hummm.

We have one audience member that we met on this trip and has become an e-mail pen pal. We like her a lot and are glad to get nice notes from her. I suppose we ought to wonder why we don't have more "new" friends met on this trip writing to us. Hmmm.

Some of you that write to us are Mike's friends from the Chopra group and some are former students of his. This group is very tight knit and supportive and we really appreciate hearing from such busy people. They even send nice comments to me about the blog for which I am very grateful.

I have a few friends of my own that send nice notes to us. Considering that they are triathletes, consultants and generally busy people, we love hearing from them. Eric is the only one of my former colleagues that dares to leave his name on the blog comments...Brave man.

We left our blog address with our houseboat neighbors and the folks renting our house. They send us comments on our blog and updates on the neighborhood. It is hard to be sympathetic when we hear about the weather. Those rainy windy days sound so remote when you are sitting on a deck eating your dinner watching the sun go down on a balmy evening.

My dear Aunt and her husband follow the blog and send us notes and advice. I love my Uncle and Auntie and feel closer to them than ever based on their wonderful notes. Our travels have provided us an entire new way to communicate.

The comments you see on the blog are usually from the not shy family members- sisters Sue, Leanne and Jaye. Children - Dana, Mike and Megan. Some of the other children read the blog and send notes once in awhile. Then of course, there is that son that bragged he graduated high school without reading a book (or blog either based on his nonexistent correspondence)- thankfully he has a girlfriend that checks in or we would never know how he is doing.

To all of you following us, our deepest thanks. Having you all out there being part of our trip makes it even more special. With love,
Deanne and Mike

3 comments:

Leanne said...

I feel like I've just read the ending credits of the most awesome book ever written. I guess, in a way, that's true. I'm not sure who's going to be sadder, your avid readers or the two of you! I really think it's going to be a toss up! Thank you guys so much for all the wonderful stories, the sharing, the mishaps, the terrific description of the food and especially the chocolate. You've brought your trip into our homes and made us a part of it. Maybe there will be a sequel?
I'm looking forward to seeing you on the 6th!!!

Love............Leanne

WanderingGypsies said...

what if I said it was never going to end? We are thinking this hobo life isn't so bad. Besides, the idea of sharing a guest room bed with those sweet faced mugs, I mean pugs of yours sounds pretty good.
Nine more days of this leg of the trip, then we have a month of mooching off the relatives for the holidays. But, you'll love the stuff we have planned for 08.
Deanne

Ann said...

Well Deanne the problem is your strong work ethic rubbed off on all your old pals and we are still working our tail off. We live vicariously through your adventures. Do know that your blog is well read and discussed and envied! (My problem is I have too damn many logins and )

Ann