Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I may have gained a bit of weight….but not that much!

Masters of public transportation…. We have traveled by city train, ferry, taxi and this morning we added the monorail. We rode around the city loop (meeting a two couples traveling together from Dallas for the same cruise that we take on Saturday) to Paddy’s Market, a huge indoor swap meet. Stalls go for miles selling souvenirs, tee shirts and all kinds of can’t-live-without-it junk. We wandered around for as long as we could take the crowds, escaping with one grandchild gift and a few workout tee-shirts (something we should have planned better before leaving home).

After the markets we decided to take the monorail to Darling Harbor for lunch. We found one of the guidebook recommended restaurants, Blackbird and settled in for a chicken sandwich and fish&chips. Both of us were concerned about the slippery floor under our table and asked the waitress to have someone clean it. Someone came over and assured us that the floor was wet from the rain (it was an open restaurant with no walls facing the harbor where we were sitting). After finishing our meal the floor was still slippery even though neither of us had been rained on while eating, so we knew the floor was oily from something else. I decided to clean my shoes with the cleaner that the waitress carried over to use on the floor. While rolled up in my chair cleaning the bottoms of the shoes the chair collapsed! One minute I was sitting up cleaning shoes the next minute I was sitting on the floor with a broken chair beside me. Nothing was hurt but my pride. It was quite embarrassing.

Apparently customer service in Sydney does not include listening to your customers complain about the slippery floor, nor does it include any concession when your chair breaks while a customer is sitting in it. May we suggest you not visit the Blackbird Café.

I am off to edit the zoo photos. I took so many that I need to weed through them or I will kill the internet when I post them. I will write again soon.

Deanne

4 comments:

Susie "K" said...

Seems like you "fall" somehow in every country. You're starting to get a reputation! Maybe you can write a book about "Falling" over the world!! Great title, hey! Anyway, just checking in - saying "hi"...hey, before you head out on the ship - did you get my e-mail 'bout an upcoming covenant vote here at the HOA? I was hoping you guys would send me an e-mail authorizing me to proxy vote? It's clarifying the definition of "mobile homes" and I will vote the same way you guys will. Let me know - we need 2/3 vote to change it so your vote counts! Well, gotta go - headed to Durango. Have a great day - and stay upright! Love ya, me

DanaH said...

I agree with your sis...your "falling stories" are becoming quite a collection :-)
My favorite one is still the New Zealand one with you grabbing on to Mike's hood!
Sydney looks fabulous and definitely the sort of town I'd like to visit someday. Those mountain goats and chimps are sitting on prime real estate; hope they appreciate the view!
Mike and I have been enjoying some Australian Shiraz and Merlot, so I hope you get a chance to try some fabulous wines from the region.

WanderingGypsies said...

thanks for the kind words you guys. I appreciate nobody asking how much I had to drink (not much is the answer- and the wine glass I was sipping from didn't even miss a drop when I went down). Other than the outrageous cost- the wines of Australia are awesome.

I would like to be known for more than falling down. Sue- Mike wants to know what the set back change is...we haven't seen the wording and we are afraid it will impact our ability to build on our lot. Other than that we are cool with you voting our position.
Love, Deanne

caitie said...

HAHA