Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bugged in San Gimignano

I have written enough on Mike's accidents and disabilities. Now it is my turn in the spotlight. It turns out that there is some sort of biting bug in this beautiful Tuscan town that has decided to make lunchmeat (and breakfast, dinner and snack) out of me. I am covered in bug bites from neck to toe. The worst ones are on the palm of my hand which hurt to type. They are driving me crazy with itching, causing me to miss my precious good night's sleep. Trust me, very little in this world disrupts my sleep (especially now that the boys are grown up and I don't have to worry about 16 year old drivers). So, Mike and his spotted wife went to the Farmacia in search of sledgehammers to know the itching away. We ended up with cortisone cream (Susan-remeber that cream that I was allergic to? The one that made my face swell up?). I am so desperate that we bought it and I started using it today. Mike promises to take over the blog if my face swells up so bad that I can no longer see or if my bug-bitten hands get to the point they can no longer type.

We have discovered the 2006 winner fo the world's best gelato contest. This tiny shop is right across the courtyard from our hotel. We have decided to assure all of our loyal readers of the validity of their claim to being the world's best by trying every one of their thiry flavors before we leave so that we can make sure. So far, Mike still favors Crema Argentina, a flavor he found in Verona. I am partial to last night's cone- made up of half saffron cream (think eggnog gelato) and cinnamon (a most delightful, creamy and spicy gelato flavor). We have only two more days to make sure we have tried enough flavors. This place is so popular they sell cones starting at 9:00 am.

So long,
Your spotted friend,
Deanne

4 comments:

Leanne said...

Hi you 2.

I can't believe the first part of our journey is coming to an end! I feel like I've been there with you. Your descriptions are so vivid! I've loved reading about all of your victories in circumstances where language was not in the equation! Even your pitfalls.....or should I say pratfalls? have been enjoyable since they've all turned out ok. I sure hope the bug bites don't bother you too much longer! With all the wonderful, descriptive anecdotes you've shared........I still think my favorite story is the Brunhilde one!!

Take care..........enjoy the next few days...tell Caitie I said hi!

Love,
Big Sis

Jaye said...

Well now I have to try gelato. We have a new gelato specialty store next to Starbucks. I already had to have a chocolate crossant because of your breakfasts in Italy. I agree with Leanne, I feel like I've been there with you, and eating some of the same food makes me think of you guys. It's hard to believe that you're on your way back to reality. Enjoy and love ya, Jaye

WanderingGypsies said...

Okay big sisters.... I first of all want to thank you so much for writing. I really appreciate an audience out there. However, Jaye, I never got an answer to my e-mail asking how Mike was doing. So, what is the scoop? I have lots of experience with ailing husbands and I know how much they love tender loving care. Is Mike milking the recovery process? How are you doing? Lee, how is that beautiful baby doing? I love you both,
Deanne

Susie "K" said...

Jeez, what's with the bug bites? You and Mom both get such horrible rashes. Let's hope the cream doesn't make it worse. Just buy lots of make-up! Hang in there! Love, Bug-Free in Colorado!!