Wednesday, August 1, 2007

August 1, 2007 Hanging out in the Internet cafe

I feel technologically jinxed. While working for an hour each at the internet cafe last night I tried to find a new hotel in Porto that had internet wifi and after doing a cool search sorting by the special hotel characteristics i was looking for (namely cheap and internet accessible with air conditioning) i found that the place we were in already had all that. so we trekked back to the hotel and found the specific bar on the first floor (really the second floor but these folks call their ground floor the zero floor) that had wifi. i got on the network okay only to find my internet browser won´t work. it locks up and won´t do anything. if anyone knows what that problem is, please let me know. so, unable to solve that problem, i copied all of my blog writings onto a jumpdrive and here i sit back at the internet cafe cutting and pasting them onto the blog. what a pain in the butt.

our hotel in porto was another rock hard bed. nonetheless, i slept well. mike not as well. he says someones snoring kept him up. i just don´t get it...i didn´t hear any snoring. Well, off to check e-mail before mike wants to leave the internet cafe. i must admit they are not the nicest places in porto. this one is up a rickety flight of stairs across from the train station. as we were walking up the narrow, dark staircase beside the store entrance below, it felt as if we were doing something sleezy. But the indian man that runs the place seems quite pleasant and helpful (we had to try a few machines to find one with microsoft word and a usb drive.

Oh, thanks to those that sent Caitie brithday wishes. we found her last night, safe and sound in her apartment in Spain. An official adult.

Bye, Deanne

2 comments:

Mike Handron Jr said...

Hi guys! Sounds like your having an amazing trip (both good and bad) I hope the weather cools down for you.
Dee, I really like the slide show format with the pics, but they flash by a little fast, and your longer text is getting chopped on the right side (might just be my screen)I like the shot of the Banana Club :-)
I feel bad that you are starving for reading materal, while we have a mini newstand's worth of your forwarded magazine subcrptions!
If you need to know the latest hot restraunt or shoe boutique from Seattle magazine, or "How to get rich now" from Money, let me know!

Mike Jr

WanderingGypsies said...

LOL, Mikey. I hope Dad doesn´t read the comment about the magazines. He was always so frustrated by my reading materials. Porto had a book store so huge it was like being back at Barnes and noble so i am restocked. I bought two of the fatest, with tiniest print, books that I could find. Thanks for the feedback on the slide show. i will see what I can do to fix.
Dee