Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Trying not to cry over spilled camera

We are in Lucca now. Our room, while well within our budget, comes with a steep price. Four sets of stairs over which to carry luggage and ourselves to be exact. It makes us nostalgic for the tiny 2 foot square lifts of our past. For 70 Euro per night we have a room without breakfast and with a bathroom across the hall. Apparently later today the guy with the en suite bathroom moves out and we graduate to a bathroom that does not require getting dressed to use. Although the guidebook says that breakfast is included, the cook is ill, so we are roughing it at the bakery downstairs. The joys of improvising!

Poor Mike is still recovering. His leg is massively purple where he landed, and it stiffens up when he sits, so he still needs some recovery time. It is nice not to be on crutches, though. After our arrival yesterday he rested while I went out exploring. I visited several churches and had a great walk. Unfortunately it was my turn to take a spill. I was putting my camera in its bag while walking and I missed a step inside a church. It was a short step and I easily regained my balance without falling, but the camera crashed to the marble floor with a resounding noise that made me want to cry. It seems to take photos okay, but only on manual focus. The automatic focus capability disappeared on the floor of the Basilica di San Frediano in Lucca. I must admit I relied heavily on that feature. The photos I took yesterday after the accident were occasionally in focus, but more often than not, they were fuzzy. I have to learn the focus now, which is more difficult with my glasses than the automatic focus was. I am trying to keep a positive attitude and look at this as a growth opportunity.... my photography skills will improve!

So, if you there aren't many photos for the next few days you'll know that the ones I am taking aren't making the grade.

Tomorrow is Matt's 23rd birthday. He never reads the blog or looks at e-mail so it is highly unlikely he will see this greeting. But, just in case any of you talk to him, give him our love. Happy birthday Big Guy, with love from Mom and Dad.

3 comments:

Leanne said...

You guys are amazing. Making lemonade out of lemons!!! First the Banana Split, now playing "marbles" with the camera! It's great that you can keep your positive attitude. Who else would say it's a good opportunity to learn to use the manual focus!!!

Anyway.....Happy Birthday Matt!!! And keep these great stories coming.

Love you!

Donna Smallwood said...

Dear Deanne and Mike,

I'm sorry that you have had a couple of bad knocks. However, you two have a great attitude, and have overcome your current adversities! I'm glad Mike is back on his feet. And that Deanne, the only thing broken from your fall was your camera.

Gerry said that he misses your non-blogging days as much as his "As Time Goes By" British sitcom, when it is off during the summer. You mustn't keep your fans in the dark.

We love you, and your travel adventures.

Donna and Gerry

WanderingGypsies said...

thanks Donna and Leanne,
We are in cinque terra, the most beautiful spot in italy so far, but cut off from internet. I will write a piece now, but it has been internet silence for a week.
Love,
Deanne