Friday, February 8, 2008

Mike's turn to take ill

No, Montezuma did not wreck revenge on Mike. It is just a cold that has taken hold of Mike today. He is taking it easy. We went for a short walk this morning near our hotel. Mendoza is a beautiful city. The ancient Incas had established a system of canals here to bring water from the Andes to the desert. The same canals line the streets today watering the beautiful aspens along the streets. The trees here are beautiful. I walked up to the Parque de San Martin this afternoon and walked around a long, skinny man-made lake. Although the lake wasn't anything to brag about the park grounds were gorgeous and the trees magnificent. I met a couple of mountain climbers from Ireland. They had just finished their climb of the famous mountain.

We had an interesting episode last night after dinner. We returned from our dinner, went to the lobby for e-mail, then returned to our room about midnight to go to bed. I put the do not disturb sign in the front door, changed into a tee shirt for sleeping, then brushed my teeth. Mike was in the bedroom and I was brushing my teeth when the lights went out in both rooms. It was VERY DARK. I opened the blinds in the bathroom and saw lights in rooms across the plaza, so it was obvious we were in the dark but no one else was. Mike could see better than I could, so he directed me to the desk where our flashlight was sitting, and through a serious of instructions, "higher, farther, straight ahead, keep going..." I found the flashlight but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. I finally found him and passed it to him so he could turn it on and find the phone. Which was dead of course. So, using the flashlight I got dressed again to go down to the desk and ask about our lights. Just as I opened our door out into the lighted hallway it dawned on me what happened. We had one of those energy saving devices in the room that require you to put your key in the slot at the door to turn on the room's power. We had never needed to use it because the do not disturb sign was plugged into it instead of a key, keeping the power on. Once I took the do not disturb sign out of the slot we had about five more minutes of power before it went off. I am sure glad I figured it out before I got to the front desk and demanded to know what had happened to our power. Talk about feeling foolish.

Tomorrow we take off for the countryside. Apparently our next ledge is only about half an hour outside of town.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Sorry to hear about Mike...hope he feels better soon. Sems everyone is getting this cold, even half way around the world! Argentine sounds really wonderful. So, the power in your room. If you want to read late into the night, do you have to keep inserting your key in the door? The visual of that is pretty funny!

Maybe that's why the population is large in Argentina? LOL

As usual, your description of everything is so much fun to read.

Oh.....we're off to look at a new car. Mine has NINE thousand miles on it!!! hehehehe

Love you both...........L